Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Top writers tackle climate change in short stories | Books | guardian.co.uk
Novelists from Margaret Atwood to David Mitchell are hoping to bring the dangers posed by climate change to life, through a new collection of short stories tackling the climate crisis.
..
Bacigalupi said that the topic of climate change is "so loaded with speculative uncertainties that it seems like there are unlimited potential stories to write and explore".

"It feels relevant and it feels uncharted and it feels worthwhile, which are criteria that I look for when I write. The questions global warming raises, not only about how the world is changing but also how we choose to adapt to those changes, make for fertile creative ground. When I write, I want to be writing about the most pressing questions of today. Climate change more than satisfies that requirement for me," he said. "I see something like climate change as being one of those big uncertainty events which will redefine how we understand the world around us. A before/after event. We don't recognise how dependent we are on climactic stability. I think we're right on the verge of thinking about human history as pre and post global warming."

No comments: