Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Email 5250, Phil Jones, 2009, on why he evidently thought that sharing climate data was optional: "I also don't see why I should help people, I don't want to work with and who spend most of their time critisising me"

Email 5250

On 09/08/2009, P.Jones@uea.ac.uk
wrote: Olive, I did send some of the data to a person working with Peter Webster at Georgia Tech. The email wasn't to PW, but he was in the CC list. I don't know how McIntyre found out, but I thought this was a personal email. This was one of the first times I'd sent some data to a fellow scientist who wasn't at the Hadley Centre. As I said I have taken pity on African and Asian PhD students who wanted some temperature and precipitation data for their country. The email has only gotten me grief, so this is another reason for being much less helpful to people emailing CRU. This goes against my nature, but I've been driven to it. You'd better not say this, otherwise McIntyre will request the emails where to prove I've been unhelpful!

I should have just said to the GA person - use GHCN, like I do to everyone else.

I also don't see why I should help people, I don't want to work with and who spend most of their time critisising me.

Years ago I did send much paleo data to McIntyre but have also had nothing but criticism on his blog ever since. As I said, this criticism on blog sites is not the way to do science. If they want to engage, they have to converse in civil tones, and if people don't want to work with them, they have to respect that and live with it.

Cheers Phil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"As I said, this criticism on blog sites is not the way to do science. "

So, there is no criticism of science on realscience.org, a site that I believe is run in part by Mann?