Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Quadrant Online - Climate change where you’d least expect it
I was recently working my way through the Australian Research Council’s list of successful Discovery grants for 2011, which are commencing this year and most of which will run for the next three years. Along the way, I was tickled to see just how far-reaching the impact of climate change will be in Australia.

In case you hadn’t realised the seriousness of the problem, I thought I’d share these budding projects with you. Names of grantees and institutions have been omitted to protect the innocent, but I have included the FOR, or Field of Research as coded by the ARC, and the total grant monies. Enjoy.
Twitter / RichardTol: if you put "climate change ...
if you put "climate change" in a grant application, you increase the chance of getting funded http://www.quadrant.org.au/blogs/qed/2012/07/climate-change-where-you-d-least-expect-it … I like Evatt's foresight
Tim Yeo Is The The Unacceptable Face of Conservatism - Iain Dale - Dale & Co.
I have always found Tim Yeo's interest in climate change and green issues a tad hypocritical bearing in mind the amount of time he spends flying round the world playing golf. But it appears it goes deeper than that. Yesterday I dug out his entry in the latest Register of Member's Interests. I print it below.

I haven't bothered to add up all his outside earning from companies associated with energy renewables but it must be in excess of £90,000. Just what does he do for these companies? How does he justify his £300-£400 hourly rate?
...
My Yeo has done nothing wrong. Under the rules he is perfectly within his rights to do this.

But it seems to be a massive error of judgement on his part to think that he can both take the money and remain as chairman of this committee. And let's not forget, he gets an extra sum from the taxpayer for chairing the committee too!

No comments: