Saturday, March 24, 2007

Today's links

1. Another IBWO survey is here.

2. "The ivory-billeds are everywhere!" here.

3. I just noticed an item here:
Bird Club monthly meeting 7:30 p.m. in Room 101, Andrews Hall on the William & Mary campus. Biologist Bob Anderson presents ``Stumbling Across the Lord God Bird: Incredible Luck in the Choctawhatchee Basin, discussing the ivory-billed woodpecker during the monthly meeting of the Williamsburg Bird Club. Andrews Hall is behind Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall. Open to the public.
This may be the same Bob Anderson mentioned by Geoff Hill in January here:
We have also had three recent sightings including two by Bob Anderson, a Virginia birder who visited our site as a volunteer. Bob’s second sighting was particularly good. He observed an ivorybill 25 meters away as it flew up from the ground or from a very low perch. He clearly saw the broad band of white on the trailing edge of the wing of a large black woodpecker. He reported that it had a stiff-winged flight and that he heard loud wing flaps as it flew away from him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in 2005, Who ? said

Something Big is about to happen. I know the difference between the pileated and the ivorybill. I know I'll be proven right.

We're still waiting Gene

Bona Ditto
" "

Anonymous said...

Back in 2005, Who ? said

Something Big is about to happen. I know the difference between the pileated and the ivorybill. I know I'll be proven right.

We're still waiting Gene

Bona Ditto


Was it the same guy who said this?:

(From "The Grail Bird") After a long talk with Gene, Bobby told him "It sounds to me like you've seen an ivory-billed woodpecker."
"You think so?" said Gene. "I don't have enough confidence to make that call, but I'm glad to hear you say that".

Anonymous said...

Stumbling Across the Lord God Bird
Is the greatest fiction story ever heard
Bumbling around is the method preferred
That story is the one that has most occurred
It’s a tragic tale where crow is the word
It’s all become just a theatre of the absurd

Anonymous said...

Something Big is about to happen. I know the difference between the pileated and the ivorybill. I know I'll be proven right.


Humbug! And in what future year will you be proven right? Will it be any earlier than 2015? The universities of Cornell, Auburn, and Windsor have brought irreparable damage to the word "ornithology." I'm glad I'm just a birder and not one of those nut bags who calls himself an "ornithologist."