Monday, January 25, 2010

More “Settled Science” | Climate Skeptic
My sense that if we really trace the sources, we will find that most of the IPCC report rests on the work of 10-20 guys.
Climate Change's Latest Storm - WSJ.com
Yet at its Copenhagen conference in December, the IPCC did nothing to correct the record. Instead, IPCC Chairman Rajendra Pachauri reminded delegates in his opening speech that climate change would "in all likelihood" lead to an "increase in tropical cyclone intensity" and an "increase in frequency of hot extremes, heat waves and heavy precipitation." And yesterday, in response to a London Times report on the reliability of the claim, the IPCC stood by the finding, saying its procedures "were carefully followed" without making any effort to justify its use of an unpublished paper that, when it finally did see the light of day, had substantially walked back the findings on which the IPCC's original projection was based.

We understand that a few errors or omissions do not alone suffice to demolish the hypothesis of anthropogenic global warming. As for the credibility of the IPCC process, however, it is melting far faster than a Himalayan glacier these days..
Catholic.net - Global Warming and the Polar Bear Hoax
I recently watched a documentary on what I thought was going to be the beauty of our planet, but which turned out to be a story of how polar bears are heading to an early death due to my negligence. The camera slowly zoomed in on a giant bear swimming in arctic waters while a narration informed me that he had been there for days in search of firm ground. All of this was my fault, the voice wished to tell me, because I was not doing my part to stop global warming. Call me a cynic, but I have to wonder if that poor polar bear was really swimming for his life, or if he had just dived in for a mid-afternoon dip. All I know is that he was swimming in the water; I can’t guess what his motives were.
...
Thomas A. Flynn, LC studies for the priesthood in Rome.
The ‘global warming’ story you haven’t heard: the WWF connection | NewsReal Blog
“This, apparently,” writes Laframboise ruefully, “is how you win a Nobel prize.”

Of course, given the current state of journalistic affairs, writing blog posts like hers is not how you win a Pulitzer.

Regardless, Laframboise promises to type in “Greenpeace” next…
Can the media's climate change deniers ignore the latest temperature record? | Media Matters for America

No comments: