Tuesday, March 09, 2010

So, you’re a climate change skeptic. | Young Australian Skeptics
Plotting to take the raw data on which this science is based and keep it a secret, to remove it from FTP servers where it is shared, to deliberately subvert legitimate FOI requests and delete the data, is clearly unacceptable. How can this possibly be considered acceptable scientific practice?
Climate Change: Who Pays for [Harmless] Emissions in Global Trade? - TIME
China, of course, fell into the opposite camp: 22.5% of the carbon emitted in China is actually exported to other countries, reducing its per capita carbon footprint from 3.9 tons to 3 tons.   [If Exxon is a villain for selling products for other people to consume, why isn't China a villain for doing the same thing?]
E.ON to cut gas prices for two million homes - Times Online
Graham Bartlett, managing director of retail business, said that E.ON was aware of the problems that the cold winter and the recession had caused customers: “We are pleased to see the opportunity to now reduce prices.”
The trouble with trusting complex science | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian
Despite my iconoclastic, anti-corporate instincts, I spend much of my time defending the scientific establishment from attacks by the kind of rabble-rousers with whom I usually associate. My heart rebels against this project: I would rather be pelting scientists with eggs than trying to understand their datasets. But my beliefs oblige me to try to make sense of the science and to explain its implications. This turns out to be the most divisive project I've ever engaged in. The more I stick to the facts, the more virulent the abuse becomes.
...
Perhaps we have to accept that there is no simple solution to public disbelief in science. The battle over climate change suggests that the more clearly you spell the problem out, the more you turn people away. If they don't want to know, nothing and no one will reach them. There goes my life's work.
Jack Handy Quotes - Deep Thoughts
As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.
- Jack Handy

No comments: