Tuesday, January 03, 2012

David Attenborough: Frozen Planet was not alarmist about climate change | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Speaking to the Guardian, Attenborough strongly refuted the suggestion that he lacked objectivity: "I am very, very cautious about making sensationalist claims about how disastrous continuing change will be. The most extreme and sensationalist claim I make, or statement that I make, is that a rising sea level that keeps rising – and it looks as though it could well do – will flood some of the greatest cities in the world, including London. It is an accurate statement and not an exaggerated one."

The series, which ran from late October to early December 2011 – and earned consolidated viewing figures of 11 million – included a final episode, On Thin Ice, in which the presenter highlighted the impact of global warming on the polar regions – a task he says he finds far from enjoyable.

"I wish that I didn't have to educate people on climate change," said Attenborough. "I would much rather make films which are simply unadulterated pleasure in the natural world. But if you are aware of what's happening to the natural world then you have to have some sense of responsibility. People should be aware of the danger that it is in. It's not the sort of programme that I particularly want to make for enjoyment's sake. It's the kind of programme that I have to make, otherwise it would be irresponsible."

No comments: