Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The late Jim Tanner on IBWO wariness (or lack thereof)

Here's some text from page 63 of "The Ivory-billed Woodpecker" by Jim Tanner:
---
In my own experience, Ivory-bills have not been particularly shy, certainly not noticeably more wary and wild than the Pileated Woodpecker. When I began following the birds to observe their feeding habits, they at first were shy and alert, watching me, frequently yapping or double-rapping, and not allowing too close an approach. But they rapidly became used to a person and in a day or so would pay little attention to one a moderate distance away. I frequently stood almost directly under the tree in which they were feeding without disturbing them.
...
Certainly in none of my experiences have Ivory-bills deserted a nest or in any way markedly modified their behavior because of the presence of people.
---

Once again, I am struck by the incredible contrast between the half-tame Ivory-bill that Tanner knew and the "elusive ghost bird" that current Ivory-bill seekers describe.

No comments: