Friday, January 13, 2012

Email 4378, May 2009: Warmist Thomas Stocker suggests that FOI should apply to polluters, but not to warmists?: "to take this convention and turn it around appears to me like a perversion"

Email 4378

At that time I argued that in principle there are two interests to balance: (i) FOI, and (ii) your own privacy when it comes to opening emails or other mail. Obviously, I am not in the position to judge which one obtains and in fact I think a court would be needed to establish exactly that balance.

However, the Arhus Resolution, it seems to me, had another motivation: open access to environmental data associated with damage, spills, pollution; the latter word is mentioned twice - "climate" never. So to take this convention and turn it around appears to me like a perversion.

One important point to consider is whether Arhus really applies to the IPCC activities. In no way are we involved in decision making. We assess and provide scientific information. The decision makers are elsewhere. More than ever need we be aware of this separation!

No comments: