Friday, June 12, 2009

Japan’s CO2 [swindle] Goal: Not So Shabby After All? - Green Inc. Blog - NYTimes.com
Factor out the reliance on offsets in the original Waxman-Markey bill, Mr. Levi suggested, and the United States would be making cuts of only between 8 and 11 percent from 2005 – levels substantially weaker than the Japanese target.
DIANNE FEINSTEIN and SUSAN COLLINS: Handouts for Hummers - WSJ.com
On Tuesday, the House approved this legislation, which would subsidize the purchase of a new Hummer H3T (16 mpg) or a new Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 truck (15 mpg), but not a two-year-old Ford Focus (27 mpg) or used Chevy Colorado (20 mpg). A companion bill is pending in the Senate.
We are still at Day 1 in studying global warming
I do not believe the science is settled. I do not believe there is a consensus. I do think that if you have already made up your mind and are just looking for reinforcement of your existing opinion, at this point you have a 50% chance of being very wrong.

If you or I are simply wrong, it's no big thing. Give me a nickel for every time I've been wrong and I'll retire to a beachfront property and sip cool drinks. But if you're a politician deciding on how to spend money, time and resources, I think it's important that someone tells you that the facts just ain't in yet.

That's not an argument for doing nothing. It is a powerful argument for moving cautiously. And paying attention to research from both sides.

No comments: