Saturday, June 27, 2009

News Flash! The great global warming debate with James Hansen is now off
So the debate that the world had been waiting for won't happen after all. I think it is too bad although I had reservations. If I had to pick a defender of the sceptic position I doubt I would pick an oil man or a coal man. They would have way too much baggage whereas a scientist that was independent of either could wail away not that Blankenship wouldn't. One could only hope that someone like Lord Christopher Monckton will someday get his wish to debate Hansen or Gore but only time will tell. Monckton has been trying to get Al Gore to debate him for years now with no luck. Recently he came close but was denied the opportunity at the last minute after flying here expressly for that purpose. Maybe the iron is hot and now is the time. I'll forward this to Lord Monckton and .... who knows?
Lord Monckton has agreed to debate James Hansen
...Well, I wrote him and 10 hours later I got my answer:

Monckton: "Dear Mr. Griffin - Of course I'd be delighted to debate Jim Hansen. In a democracy, that's how things work - people debate one another in public, so that people get to hear both sides. One of the most disfiguring tactics of the group driving the "global warming" scare is to refuse to debate those who disagree, on the ground that that would give their opponents too much exposure .... So do suggest it to Hansen. He may decide to go ahead with it, and the debate would attract massive publicity precisely because it would be so rare. ... - M of B"

So, Dr. Hansen, you were prepared to debate Mr. Blankenship. Will you accept this challenge from Christopher Monckton? The venue should be large enough to allow those interested to attend. I am sure there is something in the New York area that could accommodate such an event. Say... Yankee Stadium or Madison Square Garden. We can work out the details to your satisfaction.

No comments: