Thursday, March 13, 2008

An alarmist's perspective on Jeff Immelt at Eco:nomics

Here and here.

Excerpts from that second link:
At one point, Murray asked for a show of hands: who thought nuclear would be a big part of the energy future? Virtually every hand in the room went up. Immelt responded, "well, be depressed. Nothing's happening. That's fine, we'll do gas and wind." Murray: "can gas and wind do it?" Immelt: pause ... "I'm in favor of energy diversity." Hmm.

After Fred Smith from CEI did his rambling rant on how business leaders are "engineering their own demise," Immelt said: "For some weird, crazy, terrible, horrible reason, I'm going to sell $10b in wind turbines in 2008."
...
Immelt casually mentioned that GE made several million dollars by meeting Kyoto emission standards.

Immelt: my researchers tell me global warming is a technical fact, and caused by human beings. Will it be a horrible catastrophe? I don't know. I'm not that smart. But I don't have to be that smart -- I'm making money by preparing.

No comments: