Monday, December 15, 2008

Lee's Tid Bits: Imagine Global Warming
So in order to make your point you gather a bunch of data and make a graph, only to find out it does not illustrate your belief that man is throwing so much bad stuff into the air it is causing the planet to warm at an alarming rate. So you go back and massage the numbers until you get the desired graph. This is what Michael E. Mann, Raymond S. Bradley and Malcolm K. Hughes did and it is referred to as the the MBH98 reconstruction or the Hockey stick graph and it largely started the Global warming myth, which was renamed Man Made Global warming then Climate change.

It is the classic road to hell paved with good intentions. The Media picked up the ball and ran with it, regurgitating bad data without looking it up.
GOPMOM Note: Global Warming Dementia
I dropped one of my dogs off at them groomer this morning and had a short conversation with the cashier. She commented on how the sun was peeking through, I commented on how lucky we were to have such a beautiful day. She mentioned how scary it was that it was so warm in December, I mentioned how we always get a few days like this just before Christmas and it’s a great time to run errands, decorate, etc. She had a complete anxiety attack - it’s global warming!

I know I’ll pay dearly for this but can I just say - she’s 23. I gently reminded her that this is not unusual weather and considering the damage still being surveyed after last week’s storm, she should just enjoy the day. I reminded her of the people who have no power today and how fortunate it is that the temperature is so high. I reminded her there are people who have to work outside all winter long and what a break this is. I reminded her, again, that we always get a day or two like this and we’ll get a few more in January - it’s completely normal. She wasn’t buying it. She’s convinced the end is near. Oh well, must be just another case of Global Warming Dementia. How else can you explain someone wringing their hands over a good weather day in New England in December?

As I left, I mentioned that since it was so warm out and she’s so concerned about global warming, maybe she should shut off the lights and turn down the thermostat - it was steamy in there. She didn’t seem amenable to the suggestion.
Key Words: Tell Me a Global Warming Story
This morning, I got up bright and early (my workday starts at 5:00 AM, so "bright and early" is usually around 3:45 to 4:00 AM), dressed in layers, got my gloves on and went out to my car. Which was frozen shut.

I tried to run my keys around the door edge, then pry the door open with the key ring. When that failed, I went to the other side and failed there too. Eventually, after just grabbing various door handles and pulling while bracing myself against the door with my foot, I eventually got a door open. The back passenger side door, to be exact.

I then climbed through the car, pulled on the driver side handle, got it partially open with my shoulder, then kicked it the rest of the way open.
...
Where's Al Gore and his Global Warming when you need him?

No comments: