Sunday, December 14, 2008

US Northeast: 1.4 million face a number of involuntary Earth Hours

My Way News - More outages possible in ice-ravaged Northeast
ROCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - Utility officials trying to recover from a devastating ice storm warned there could be more outages Sunday as drooping trees and branches shed ice and snap back into their original positions, potentially taking out more power lines.

Roughly 800,000 customers were still without power in upstate New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine late Saturday. Utility officials in hardest-hit New Hampshire said power might not be restored to the region until Thursday or Friday, a week after the storm knocked down utility lines, poles and equipment, leaving 1.4 million in the dark.

Volunteers serving soup and sandwiches at a shelter in the Rindge town recreation center saw some new faces as residents decided not to try to endure a third night without electricity or heat.

"I have an apartment, but there's no heat, no lights, no water. I spent last night there, but after going through that, I decided not to do it again," said Amy Raymond, 74.
...
At least three deaths appear to be related to the storm. A Danville man who lived in a camper died Thursday night of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator. Two people in Glenville, N.Y., also died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
...
Retired auctioneer Ed Stevens, 88, came to the same shelter Saturday after rejecting several suggestions that he do so earlier.

"I told them, 'No way!' I guess I'm too damned independent," he said.

After two days of reading the newspaper in a cold house, he gave in.

"I guess if it's between here and freezing to death in my own house, I'll take here," he said.

No comments: