Thursday, October 29, 2009

Watch: Global warming a victim of polarized politics | ScrippsNews
It is puzzling why so many people refuse to accept basic science. Is it selfish -- I'll be dead by then so why does it matter? Is it parochial -- I live on a hill far inland so tsunamis don't concern me? Is it blind faith -- there will be a magic bullet that will solve the problem in time?

Is it nationalism -- the U.S. and other wealthy nations should not reduce emissions if developing countries don't as well? Is it fear -- cutting pollution might eliminate my job? Is it political -- I won't believe it until Rush Limbaugh tells me it's so? Is it nonsensical -- I can't stand Al Gore so I won't believe anything he says?
---
Scripps Howard columnist Ann McFeatters has covered the White House and national politics since 1986
[Hey, Ann: Do you think that Rush Limbaugh is the reason that the Pakistanis don't believe?]

No comments: