Thursday, June 24, 2010

Does even Michael Mann believe in his own hockey stick?

BBC - The Editors: What's up with the weather?
[1 minute video] We also hear from the scientist behind the graph which has become an icon in the climate-change debate. Professor Michael Mann regrets the way his so-called "hockey-stick graph" was put in the spotlight by politicians. [Mann in the video: "I always thought it was somewhat misplaced to make it a central icon of the climate change debate...I've done my best whenever I've been given an opportunity to try to clarify the uncertainties in our work..."]
Climategate email
From: "Michael E. Mann" ,,,Subject: RE: IPCC revisions Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:35:24 -0400
...
Walked into this hornet's nest this morning! Keith and Phil have both raised some very good points. And I should point out that Chris, through no fault of his own, but probably through ME not conveying my thoughts very clearly to the others, definitely overstates any singular confidence I have in my own (Mann et al) series.
...I had been using the entire 20th century, but in the case of Keith's, we need to align the first half of the 20th century w/ the corresponding mean values of the other series, due to the late 20th century decline.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mann certainly didn't discourage the use of his graph to further the AGW political agenda! He's only regretting it now because he's been caught with the other AGW hoaxsters and is possibly facing civil action.