Monday, October 25, 2010

Heresy and the creation of monsters | Judith Curry
When I first started reading the CRU emails, my reaction was a visceral one. While my colleagues seemed focused on protecting the reputations of the scientists involved and assuring people that the “science hadn’t changed,” I immediately realized that this could bring down the IPCC. I became concerned about the integrity of our entire field: both the actual integrity and its public perception.
...
In Autumn 2005, I had decided that the responsible thing to do in making public statements on the subject of global warming was to adopt the position of the IPCC. My decision was based on two reasons: 1) the subject was very complex and I had personally investigated a relatively small subset of the topic; 2) I bought into the meme of “don’t trust what one scientists says, trust what thousands of IPCC scientists say.” A big part of my visceral reaction to events unfolding after 11/19 was concern that I had been duped into supporting the IPCC, and substituting their judgment for my own in my public statements on the subject. So that is the “dupe” part of all this, perhaps not what Lemonick had in mind.

If, how, and why I had been duped by the IPCC became an issue of overwhelming personal and professional concern.

2 comments:

XtnYoda said...

Thanks Mr. Nelson.

I posted it.

Joseph A Olson, PE said...

Eleven months AFTER the "East Anglia Event Horizon" a committed luke-warmist is having an ELEVENTH HOUR CONVERSION to reason. This lady's 15 minutes of fame expired a long time ago.