Sunday, August 28, 2011

"This is by far the weakest hurricane I have ever seen that was considered a serious threat'

Comment From Reader Andre | Real Science
Andre says:
August 28, 2011 at 7:25 am

I was a first responder and thoroughly trained in Hurricane damage assessment and disaster management by FEMA. I have been involved in many Washington D.C. metro area hurricanes over the past 25 years. This is by far the weakest hurricane I have ever seen that was considered a serious threat. I don’t get it. There was never any reason I could see for calling this the 50 year hurricane. The poster is correct, I was monitoring the wind speeds all along the east coast for the past 48 hours, the wind speeds even next to the non-existent eye never exceeded 50-60 mph and was 10-35 MPH over 95+ percent of the nearby area. I’ve been in touch with my contacts at ARC and a few of them are in agreement, it makes no sense. The “tropical storm” portion of this storm extends no more than 60 miles from the center, the rest only qualifies as a “tropical depression”. This is based on the real data that anyone can find on the internet. I don’t care what NOAA or NHC says if it does not have a basis in fact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's why:
(1) Mayor Bloomberg did not want a repeat of his snowstorm debacle and wanted to look leader-like and proactive.
(2) The media wanted to prove that President Obama is not George Bush and exaggerated the size of the Irene, hoping for a Katrina comparison.
(3) A hurricane gives news folks a chance to look brave and concerned, standing in the wind and rain; therefore lots of camera time.