Friday, November 18, 2011

Climate Panel Charts Extreme Weather in a Warming World - NYTimes.com

the report finds only “medium confidence” (a 50/50 chance) in a link between human activities and intensification of extreme rainfall on a global scale.

The Deletion Of NOAA’s Climate Service As A Separate Group Within NOAA In The Federal Budget | Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr.

Congress zeros out a request for 346.2 million dollars for a Climate Service from NOAA;

...Since the National Weather Service already provides a framework to provide essential weather and climate information, this Climate Service is a redundancy and is just another example of those who accept the IPCC perspective seeking to implement its advocacy mission.

The House Committee report appropriately recognizes this when they write

The recommendation does not include the establishment of a climate service as proposed in the budget request. Instead, the recommendation funds NOAA programs in accordance with the current NOAA organizational structure.

This  decision by the House of Representatives and the Conference Committee (which reconciles House and Senate bills)  is a good one.

- Bishop Hill blog - GuardianEco loses the plot

Guardian Eco publishes an interview with Raj Pachauri, which very surprisingly returns to the subject of the melting of Himalayan glaciers.
...Now, my understanding is that even on the inflated IPCC estimates, the correct figure is 2350, not 2040 or 2050. If so, then the Guardian's decision to publish this is...astonishing.

Daily Climate : Lies As Big As Texas | Real Science

The very cold water in the Pacific due to La Nina is the result of absorbed heat? They are getting bolder and more shameless with their lies every day. Temperatures in the Pacific west of the Americas are 1-4C below normal.

William M. Briggs, Statistician » There Are Too Many Fat People: What To Do About It

I care about these people. Dammit, I really do. My (unclogged by plaque) heart bleeds. I am sincere. This is what counts. I live in Manhattan and I have a PhD from an Ivy League university. In science. Now only does this equip me with the knowledge of right and wrong, it gives me license to dictate to others what is best.

I shouldn’t say this, because it’s sensitive. But these fat people, especially those fatties with fat kids, just don’t know what is best for them. I do. I’ve studied the subject. I’ve read scientific papers by earnest people. They agree with me. Something has to be done.

No comments: