Monday, January 16, 2012

Email 4991, Oct 2007: Arthur D Edelstein writes to Phil Jones, asks for the complete HadCRUT3 dataset and source code, consistent with AGU policies; Jones plans to ignore the request

Email 4991

From: Phil Jones
Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:37 am Subject: Fwd: data and source code request To: Michael Wehner Cc: philip.brohan@metoffice.gov.uk

Hi Mike, Can you do a bit of discrete looking at UC Berkeley to see if this student really is a student in Physics? I'm planning to ignore the request, but am a little curious as to who the supervisor may be. I don't think I would have had the nerve to send a request like this when I was a student. I don't think I'd have the nerve to send one this blunt even now. It seems a pointless PhD. I would have thought that Berkeley would be above this sort of thing.

No rush if you're weighed under with proper work!

Cheers Phil
---
Dear Prof. Jones,

My name is Arthur Edelstein, and I am a graduate student in physics at UC Berkeley. I am writing to request the complete HadCRUT3 dataset and computer source code that you and your coauthors used to adjust and analyze the surface temperature data in the following paper:

Brohan, P., J.J. Kennedy, I. Harris, S.F.B. Tett and P.D. Jones, 2006: Uncertainty estimates in regional and global observed temperature>changes: a new dataset from 1850. J. Geophysical Research 111, D12106 http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/39/14288

I and others would like to understand all details of your analysis of global temperature trends. I am making this request for the surface records you have used and the computer programs that analyze them, consistent with the American Geophysical Union policies, copied below, which apply to the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely, Arthur D Edelstein

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how Jones wanted somebody to check and "see if this student really is a student in Physics."

The paranoia is amazing. Why does he have to be this way when the science is so sound and un-refutable that the vast majority of climate scientists agree on it?