Friday, December 14, 2012

Michael Mann: "I myself have published work in the journal Science just a few years ago on the importance of solar forcing for understanding long-term natural variability"

Leaked IPCC Climate Report Excites Skeptics, Annoys Authors And Raises Questions About Process
[Mann] There is nothing in the new IPCC report about solar forcing that isn't already well known from the peer-reviewed literature. I myself have published work in the journal Science just a few years ago on the importance of solar forcing for understanding long-term natural variability. Despite what climate change deniers would like people to think, paleoclimate scientists such as myself have thoroughly investigated the role of solar impacts on climate for decades ...

But my work, and indeed all work that I'm familiar with in this area, shows that solar forcing cannot possibly explain the warming of the past half century. In fact, solar forcing has been flat over the past fifty years during which we've seen the greatest amount of warming. There is NOTHING in the new IPCC report that in any way calls that conclusion into question.

No comments: