Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Helping unlikely sceptics see that climate change is real
HAVE been trying to find ways to communicate about climate change and have recently found some success, but only after I inadvertently created a climate sceptic in my own family.

My mother, like many other Australians, expressed deep concern but also deep confusion about climate change. I explained that a problem is that the main protagonists have either chosen or been forced to enter a winner-takes-all scenario, when in fact climate change is a problem of risk. The future is uncertain, but the strong chance that something harmful could happen warrants considering serious action now.

I also told my mother that any reasonable climate scientist would concede that there is a 10 per cent chance that human-induced climate change is not a problem. Her eyes lit up as she nodded. I felt that I had in a small way made a difference to our broken public sphere.
...
Dr Simon Niemeyer from the Australian National University is the lead researcher on the project Climate Change and the Public Sphere, funded by the Australian Research Council.
Flashback - Gore To Palin On Global Warming: "It's Like Gravity, It Exists"
Asked about Palin's charge on Facebook that these are "doomsday scare tactics pushed by an environmental priesthood," Gore replied that the scientific community has worked on this issue for 20 years. "It's a principle in physics. It's like gravity. It exists."

No comments: