Sunday, February 05, 2012

Email 1103, Sept 1999, Michael Mann on the use of questionable data: "I'm happy to do it and let the reviewers tell us if they see any problem"

Email 1103

1) I am definitely using the version of the Briffa et al series you sent in which Keith had restandardized to retain more low-frequency variability relative to the one shown by Briffa et al (1998). So already, the reconstruction I'm using is one-step removed from the published series (as far as I know!) and that makes our use of even this series a bit tenuous in my mind, but I'm happy to do it and let the reviewers tell us if they see any problem.

Hat tip: M. Hulme

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Nice work on the emails Tom. I rarely comment to you but what a ton of work you are doing.

TravelerDiogenes said...

I am sure Mann still would have chosen to do that if the series didn't support 'the goal.'