Friday, February 03, 2012

Email 2406, April 2005, Phil Jones: "Every now and then I go to the BAS web site of Gareth Marshall and pick up and manually add in back Antarctic data...I don't keep any sort of record of any of this...The Antarctic stuff is important as coverage is poor down there"

Email 2406

All the Antarctic data in this paper are in the dataset. Every now and then I go to the BAS web site of Gareth Marshall and pick up and manually add in back Antarctic data (this is mainly for the French site at Dumont D'Urville) and the NZ site (Scott Base) as reporting from other countries has been relatively good recently. I don't keep any sort of record of any of this, but all the manually entered data is checked by me for outliers. All the MCDW data and back CLIMATs entered automatically get their anomalies listed out and I look for largish values. I am happy to continue doing all this after HadCRUT3 starts. The Antarctic stuff is important as coverage is poor down there.

No comments: