Saturday, February 04, 2012

Email 3711, Mar. 2007, Phil Jones: "There is only one view worth listening to - and that is what IPCC says on the subject...We have done without mass flying until recently. It seems as though we could do without it now. This is hypocracy on my behalf..."

Email 3711

There is only one view worth listening to - and that is what IPCC says on the subject. Climate change is happening, it will continue to get warmer and all the things said in the SPM. I understand how awkward it is when the public and fellow scientists see programmes like that produced by Channel 4 a week or so ago. There were barely any climate scientists on the programme and the few that were had their views distorted. Why the media (both paper and TV) want to portray divisions is beyond me. Amongst climate scientists (and I know I define who these are above, so it may seem awkward) there is almost total unanimity on the fact that the climate is changing and will continue to warm. Even the measures proposed in Britain don't go far enough to stop most of the effects. This is a personal opinion. Aviation is the fastest growing sector for emissions, but still quite small. We have done without mass flying until recently. It seems as though we could do without it now. This is hypocracy on my behalf, having just flown in from the US and off to Korea on Sunday. One was a meeting of a project and the next is to talk to the Korean Met Society, so I'm not practicising what I'm preaching.

1 comment:

Lemon2 said...

Now Phil Jones may be a very bright boy - he is a PhD of some sort. But I know how to spell hypocrisy and could never allow this error to be sent out in an email.

Someone who makes spelling mistakes like this is also likely to be haphazard and inexact in other areas.

I can't trust a scientist who spells badly. It suggests an in-exact mind and incompetence.