Saturday, January 05, 2013

What few people realize is that the military jumped on the CAGW bandwagon very early...I remember my debriefing officer’s comments on global warming, “Of course it’s nonsense, but it’s a great way to scare hippies into letting us build nukes.”

The Climate Scientist’s Story: Part 2 | The Lukewarmer's Way
...There was so much money, universities were scrambling to see how much they could grab. Whole departments were born just to study this one effect. They were recruiting believers, not thinkers. Careers were being made. Most of today’s climate scientists came from departments that were born in this rush. If you could tie your research to global warning, you could get funded. (I was in the money race at this time.) Older research was abandoned.

During the beginning of this period, I worked for NASA’s Technology Utilization office and got a good overview of what was happening. During the mid 80′s, I was a fellow and worked at a DOD atmospheric lab. What few people realize is that the military jumped on the CAGW bandwagon very early. They also thought that nuclearizing the economy had geopolitical and strategic advantages. I remember my debriefing officer’s comments on global warming, “Of course it’s nonsense, but it’s a great way to scare hippies into letting us build nukes.”  [Via DB]

No comments: