Thursday, February 21, 2013

Joel Sternfeld, on attending a UN climate hoax conference and hearing that CO2 is dangerous: "I live about five blocks from the former World Trade Centre and I was at my window as the first plane struck – but this was worse"

Joel Sternfeld's best photographs – when climate change sinks in | The Guardian
In November and December of 2005, I was in Montreal to attend the United Nations Climate Change Conference...my agenda was my own: I wanted to know if climate change was real.
...
What I heard and saw at this confence shocked me like nothing I've ever experienced. I live about five blocks from the former World Trade Centre and I was at my window as the first plane struck – but this was worse. In the opinion of nearly all the participants, not only was climate change occurring, it was also about to reach a tipping point and become irreversible.
...
In Montreal, I tried to take photographs of delegates at the moment when the horror of what they were hearing was visible on their faces. At stake, after all, is the continuation of Earth as a planet fit for us to live on. No one can say how long the process of human extinction might take...nothing I've ever done has addressed a more desperate matter.
"The Simpsons" Kamp Krusty (1992) - Memorable quotes
[Kent Brockman is covering a summer camp mutiny]
Kent Brockman: Ladies and gentlemen, I've been to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and I can say without hyperbole that this is a million times worse than all of them put together.

No comments: